Handle Recruitment are excited to be working with an innovative and ambitious start-up multimedia digital publisher to recruit a freelance Associate Editor to join their small but incredibly accomplished team. Launching in February, their aim is to be cultural change makers, devoted to providing a platform that highlights diversity and dynamism of Pan-African Womanhood through developing and curating content on a range of nuanced topics for women from Africa and the African diaspora.
The successful candidate will be joining the company at an extremely exciting time on the run up to the launch of the brand. The Associate Editor will help guide both operational and editorial tasks, commission and lead writers, contribute stories, ideate story ideas, and oversee daily happenings on the site.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assigning reporting tasks to staff writers and contributors.
- Leading, guiding, managing and directing reporters and assigned feature writers in developing news stories and features.
- Editing and contributing content copy in accordance to the established procedures and standards outlined in the editorial style guide and calendar.
- Regularly write news briefs and other short-form articles.
- Working closely with staff writers and other editors.
- Occasionally conducting analytical reports for editorial meetings.
- Determining and deciding on editorial stories in consultation with writers.
- Developing and executing editorial programmes across video and audio.
- Providing technical guidance with regard to editorial, social media, design, and content.
- Ensuring compliance of best practices and standards in journalism and digital media.
The ideal candidate must have the following:
- At least 5 years of experience working in editorial.
- Great leadership skills.
- Good eye for digital trends
- Strong understanding of data and data analytics tools is strongly preferred.
- Sharp editing skills.
- Highly process oriented and organised.
- Strong multimedia journalism skills across video, audio, experiential and social.
- Knowledge of AP Style Guidelines.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Comfortability working in a fast-paced start-up environment.
This is a 6-7 months freelance role starting ASAP with potential to become permanent depending on performance in the role and will pay £32 - 34k DOE.
Handle Recruitment is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.