Our client is a digital multimedia publisher dedicated to developing content for women, by women from Africa and the African diaspora. They strive to be a multimedia platform that develops and curates nuanced topics ranging from fashion, beauty, entertainment, arts and culture, politics, business and innovation, social issues, women's rights, and empowerment.
With few platforms solely dedicated to capturing authentic stories from the continent.
They aim to fill the gap adopting a digital-first, multidisciplinary and cross-cultural approach to content creation, storytelling, and editorial production, offering our audience with purposeful and insightful stories that represent various African and Afro-diasporic women communities. We serve the vision and voice of the modern African woman.
We are looking for a junior associate Editor to join their team four days per week to lead the Music and Arts and Culture content pillars and regularly publish news stories and features on a consistent basis. The associate Editor will be responsible for ideating/contributing stories, commissioning writers, and editing. The associate editor will also be expected to write one breaking news story per day covering topical/breaking news across Africa and the African diaspora.
An ideal candidate must have the following:
- 2-3 years of experience working in editorial.
- Knowledge and passion of African/Afro-diasporic music and arts and culture content.
- Knowledge of current affairs, politics, business, tech, social issues trends in Africa and across the African diaspora.
- Sharp editorial skills in writing and editing and an acute eye for detail.
- Highly process oriented and very well-organized, with a strong ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- A natural leader.
- First-class communication skills with a natural ability to work collaboratively within the team and with external contacts.
- A flexible and positive attitude especially when facing changing priorities and challenges.
- Commissioning experience is desired.
- Strong multimedia journalism skills across video, audio, experiential and social.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Lead and ensure the Music and Arts and Culture content pillars are updated on a consistent basis.
- contribute to news stories and feature ideas to the Music and Arts and
- Culture content pillars.
- Guide, support, commission and assign news stories and features to writers/contributors.
- Write one breaking news story per day and regularly write news briefs/long-form articles.
- Editing news stories and features from writers/contributors in accordance with the established procedures and standards outlined in a suitable editorial style guide, AP style guide and SEO guidance document.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest music, arts and culture, current affairs, politics, business, tech, social issues and trends in Africa and across the African diaspora.
- Provide support and guidance with regard to social media, marketing, PR and design.
- Ensure compliance of best practices and standards in journalism
Handle actively welcomes applicants from under-represented backgrounds
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.