Handle Recruitment are working with one of the leading contemporary art galleries in the world to recruit an interim Press Officer to join their vibrant and ambitious communications team.
Reporting into the Head of Communications you will be responsible for managing tasks relating to both press and communications. Main responsibilities will include:
- Devising and delivering press campaigns for a range of the galleries artists and exhibitions, alongside Senior Communications Officer
- Managing the press inbox: includes fielding press queries and liaising with artists' studios and representatives
- Providing press support on selected external exhibitions as necessary, via PR agencies or galleries/museums
- Developing and maintaining relationships with journalists through regular phone and email contact, special events and 1-2-1 meetings
- Monitoring, filing and circulating press coverage internally
- Attending external press views and launch events where necessary
- Overseeing the press database, including proactively gathering new press contacts and coordinating press mailing data
- Identifying news and feature opportunities for artists, Art Fairs and the exhibition programme
- Pitching stories and features on the galleries programme and activities
- Regular maintenance of selected artist press coverage packs
- Understanding how the media operates, and how to supply journalists with what they need
- Responding to requests for photography and filming, supervising where needed
- Acting as the main communications liaison for a selection of artists represented by the gallery
- Sourcing and clearing images from Artist Liaisons, artists and studios for use across digital platforms including the website, e-news and social media
- Writing clear and concise copy for Digital Coordinator, for use across digital platforms including the website, e-news, social media
- Designing selected e-mail communications via Mailchimp (such as press releases, preview invitations, event invitations, general news announcements)
- Keeping communications planner/ event calendar updated with deadlines of materials to be issued
- Ensuring communications deadlines are met
- Cover for Digital Coordinator and Senior Communications Officer as required in their absence
The perfect candidate will possess demonstrable PR and communications experience, ideally within the arts or with a gallery background however a passion for the industry and/ or an art related degree and some experience could also be suitable. You will have excellent attention to detail and the ability to hit the ground running and provide excellent support to the team for the time you're there.
This is a 3 month interim opportunity paying £25k - £28k depending on experience. The role is starting immediately therefore candidates on notice periods or with holidays over 1 week regrettably won't be suitable.
Handle actively welcomes applicants from under-represented backgrounds
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.