Financial Controller - Technology (12 Months Maternity Contract)
VC backed rapidly growing SaaS business are looking for a high calibre Financial Controller. Reporting into the CEO and FP&A Director you will ensure the business is set up operationally to maximise unit economics, manage, cash and budgets.
Overall purpose of the role:
- Responsible for holding the business and individual departments to account against forecasts and budgeted financial performance.
- Develop and maintain internal controls to ensure accurate invoicing to clients and timely collections.
- Overseeing the finance department in its day to day operations and shall be responsible for all financial reporting (regulatory / statutory, to shareholders and internal).
Success in the role is:
- Profitable unit economics: support the CEO and CFO in managing the business to plan.
- Executional excellence: Continuously improving processes to deliver scalable operational and financial efficiencies.
- Strong Technical Finance and Accounting: Adhere with all aspects of financial, tax and regulatory compliance
- Strong leadership: Lead, manage, mentor and motivate members of the finance team and ensure the team knows success looks like and are accountable for their execution.
- Business Partnering: work successfully with all key stakeholders, holding departments to account for their budgets and goals. Close alignment with the FP&A Director will also be paramount.
- Manage all accounting operations including invoicing, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Revenue Recognition and tax.
- Accurate and timely invoicing to clients with appropriate checks and balances to ensure zero mistakes.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly Management Accounts with commentary, balance sheet reconciliations and manage month end and year end close. Liaise with external accountants and advisors. Report to the CEO and Board.
- Ensure timely and accurate returns and compliance with all HMRC requirements including liaising with external tax advisors as necessary including R&D tax credit preparation and Options scheme compliance / admin.
- Monthly payroll processing and pension administration.
- Management of the accounting policies and continued process improvement.
- Cost & cash control: weekly cashflow projections and working capital management; costs are under control with a focus on driving ROI, and ensuring cash is effectively managed. Maintain banking relationships.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant company legislation including US subsidiary, liaise with external lawyers as needed.
- Support and educate the wider business so they have a clear understanding of the financial drivers and performance of the business.
- Responsible for the finance team performance, including goal setting, recruitment and development needs.
Ideal candidate attributes: (for advert)
- Qualified Accountant (ACCA / CIMA / ICAEW)
- Minimum of 5 years post-qualified experience.
- Experience working in a SaaS business/ start up/ fast growth business is highly desirable
- Experience working in a similar role at a High-growth technology company or in a tech start up with high transaction volumes (e.g. Fintech or Marketplace) Knowledge of US subsidiaries or US HQ a bonus.
- Proven technical knowledge, ability to drive key accounting cycles process and management experience alongside evidence of implementing business and process change.
- Track record of building and motivating a team.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Hands on self starter who is able to operate autonomously and equally is collaborative and works well across all teams. Motivated to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
Handle Recruitment is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.