Fantastic opportunity to join this leading broadcaster on a 12 month contract. As acting Head of Children's Channels you will be acquiring programming across all the UK and Africa kids' channels which range in target age from 4 - 11, as well as planning out their launches with your team.
You will be actively involved in the expansion plans for the channels including coordinating launches on to new platforms and in new territories, as well as seeking out opportunities for co-productions and IP ownership.
Your goal will be to increase commercial revenue while maintaining the broadcaster's position as the largest free to air commercial kids' broadcaster in the UK.
Roles and Responsibilities
Acquisitions & Programming:
- Develop and execute the programme acquisition strategy for the various channels
- Maintain and develop key relationships with distributors and producers, attend relevant programme markets
- Screen and evaluate content, negotiate acquisition deals to include rights across all platforms
- Manage acquisition/renewal budgets
- Draft term sheets and input contract details into rights databases
- Work closely with LA based Business Affairs to secure optimum rights for all new contracts and see them through to completion
- Approve invoices relating to contracts
- Plan placement of all programmes in advance across the year with channel managers.
Strategy & Business Development:
- Manage the strategic positioning of all channels to ensure they maintain a clearly defined brand, target audience and message for viewers and deliver performance targets
- Co-ordinate new channel launches and expansion plans to new platforms or territories; collect and deliver detailed rights information internally upon request
- Explore new avenues for partnering with brands; identify potential output deals, co-pros or commissioning opportunities
- Monitor daily/ weekly/ monthly performance of the channels and competitor channels. Plan programme acquisitions and channel positioning accordingly
- Deliver presentations internally and externally as and when required
- Work closely with channel managers, commercial director, media planning manager, marketing/ PR and digital team to ensure all channels meet performance targets and increase audience awareness across all media by developing 360 promotional campaigns, stunts and sponsorships.
- Work with audience research and PR/marketing teams to develop objectives for ad campaigns and create briefs for ad agencies. Track campaign performance.
- Oversee and manage the programming team, currently consisting of two channel managers and a programme assistant. Includes setting targets, suggesting improvements, ensuring communication is effective between departments, implementing changes where necessary
- Ensure programme launches and stunts are planned and coordinated properly according to school holidays and flagship series
- Monitor use of production budget, approve all project plans and short form commissions
- Ensure channel re-brands/ refreshes remain consistent with channel brand values
- Approve channel brand statements/ presentations
- Make the final call on programme compliance edits, if escalated from compliance and programming teams.
- Provide training as required.
You should be well informed of programming trends across all UK kids' channels and digital media and be very familiar with all forms of linear and digital rights and have proven strategic and acquisition skills.
Being free to air commercial channels, you will need to be fully conversant with maximising commercial impacts as well as using BARB data to optimise performance.
Experience and skills required:
- Ideally experience in a similar position at another children's channel or network
- Ideally proven experience in children's programme acquisitions
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent long-term budget management skills
- In depth knowledge of media rights and programme contracts
- Experienced people manager
- Strong analytical and planning skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Deep knowledge of the UK children's television and digital landscape
- Broad knowledge of Ofcom compliance regulations on broadcasting to children.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.