A $35mn Venture Capital (Tiger Global, Kinnevik, Vivendi) backed international technology and entertainment business is seeking a pro-active and commercially astute Head of Commercial Finance and Strategic Planning. In partnership with the CFO, the Head of Commercial Finance and Strategic Planning will help support the growth strategy of the business over the next 5 years.
Reporting into the CFO this role will be a key asset in the future growth of the company.
The Head of Commercial Finance and Strategic Planning will lead all Commercial and Strategic activities and will spearhead the business planning, the annual budget process, and the 5-year long-term plan process.
They will also be involved in business and corporate development initiatives, such as identifying growth opportunities and evaluate transactions such as merger and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and corporate investments from a strategic and financial perspective.
In addition, the individual will provide financial analysis and strategic support to senior management, including preparing board presentations, financial presentations, capital expenditure analysis, industry/peer group comparisons, new business opportunities, marketing acquisition analysis and other projects requested by senior management.
- Build strong relationships with senior executives as well as finance and operating executives in London, Africa, and the U.S.
- Develop a robust, iterative financial planning and forecasting model.
- Lead, manage, and deliver the monthly/rolling forecast, annual budget, and 5 strategic planning process, including developing and updating the financial planning model, identification of KPIs and key business drivers, risks and upsides.
- Continually improve the entire financial planning process and financial model in terms of accuracy and efficiency as well as relevancy of insights to senior management team.
- Ensure that the business has the needed accurate Financial Systems as well as efficient links/accounts between Accounting and Planning.
- Prepare strategic and financial well-written, documented, and concise power-point presentations for senior management, board, investors, and prospective investors, including presentations on business performance, KPIs, strategic investments, recommendations, etc.
- Support key business decision-making and strategic initiatives through adhoc analyses and the building meaningful financial models.
- Evaluate growth initiatives within the African entertainment industry and proactively identify opportunities within the market for growth and recommend investments based on understanding of business's strategic priorities.
- Develop and manage detailed financial analyses and deal approval presentations for new business launches, acquisitions or divestitures. Closely cooperate with executives during negotiations.
- Perform financial due diligence into potential acquisition targets, including detailed review of financial statements and risk analysis
- Work with internal personnel and external legal and financial advisors in structuring transactions such as corporate investments, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and financing in the film and digital media industry.
- Cross-Train with the Head of Financial Accounting and Reporting.
- MBA strongly preferred (B.A./B.S. required).
- Typically 5+ years business experience in consulting, investment banking, corporate/business development, or strong, analytical FP&A.
- Media and entertainment industry (preferred film, television and/or digital media) and a strong understanding of digital media business models as knowledge and relationships within the African markets a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated strong financial analysis, valuation, and planning skills and experience. and/or investment analyses.
- Strong financial modelling skills, with demonstrated ability to create iterative planning and investment/assessment financial models that can adapt and flex to key meaningful what/if questions that are asked.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills and demonstrated ability to create well written, incisive, and concise graphic power-point presentations to explain business performance/KPI variances, identify key business drivers, and key strategic initiatives/recommendations for senior management, the board, or outside investors.
- Demonstrated understanding of financial reporting and accounting.
- Proven self-starter and independent problem-solving ability with sense to understand implications of work and probe more deeply when presented with inconsistent or interesting findings.
- Proven ability to manage projects from beginning to completion with a 'can-do' attitude and a proven ability to manage and meet all deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members in a hands-on management capacity.
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly numerate and organised
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.