Head of Finance - Technology
Venture Capital backed international media business is seeking a pro-active and commercially astute Head of Financial Control and Reporting. In partnership with the CFO, this role will support the growth strategy of the business over the next 5 years through timely, accurate, and efficient financial reporting, procedures, policies, and controls.
Working closely with the CFO and the Head of Commercial Finance, the commercially oriented Head of Finance will be responsible for commercial input and overseeing all areas of financial accounting and reporting, including monthly, quarterly and annual group reporting, statutory reporting, and any other reporting requirements, as well as management reporting, including insightful business performance/variance commentary and analysis.
The role will suit a qualified Chartered Accountant, ideally from a Big 4 Audit background, with a minimum of 5 years post-qualified experience and someone who is interested in gaining commercial finance as well as Financial Planning and Analysis experience and responsibilities.
- Manage the entire Financial Accounting process and team, ensuring all financial accounting and financial statements are accurate, timely, efficient accounting, and compliant with accounting policy and accounting standards, IFRS/UK GAAP.
- Lead, manage, and deliver all management reporting, including by-title, by business unit/market, by cost centre, P&Ls, key metrics, overhead, and cash, with detailed, insightful, and concise business performance/variance analysis in clear, professional, and graphic power point presentations.
- Lead, develop, and deliver a monthly executive dashboard/balanced scorecard.
- In conjunction with the Head of Commercial Finance, deliver the monthly rolling forecast, annual budget, and 5 year Strategic Plan.
- Develop, disseminate, and implement a set of clear, simplified financial policies, procedures, and controls and ensure that they are always consistent/up to-date with accounting standards and adhered to at all times.
- Build strong relationships with senior executives as well as finance and operating executives in London, Africa, and the US.
- Ensure AP/AR, including cash/bank recs/Inter-company Reconciliations/Balance Sheets are reviewed and properly reconciled on a regular basis and that all variances are reviewed and resolved on a timely basis.
- Monitor changes in accounting standards and assess impact on the business, and determine accounting treatment for new or one-off transactions, such as library/title acquisitions, etc.
- Lead, manage, and deliver accurate and timely cash forecasts and optimise cash through close management of payables and receivables.
- Manage relationships with banks.
- Manage all internal and external Audit processes and be the primary point of contact for the audit team for both group reporting and statutory accounts, including complexities of a large group with multiple systems and office locations.
- Manage all tax reporting requirements and liaise with the tax advisors for the preparation all tax returns, including VAT.
- Ensure that the business has the needed accurate Financial Systems as well as efficient links/accounts between Accounting and Planning.
- Manage and provide all other ad hoc reporting and commercial analyses as required.
- Cross-train with the Head of Commercial Finance and Strategic Planning.
- An experienced qualified Chartered Accountant, ideally with a Big 4 Audit background and a minimum of 5 years post qualified experience, ideally in a similar in-house role.
- Previous experience and/or demonstrated ability and interest in developing commercial finance and FP&A skills.
- Previous media and entertainment as well as African experience a plus, but not required.
- Experience of accounts consolidation for a medium or large group including eliminations, adjustments, disclosures etc.
- Good working knowledge of IFRS and UK GAAP as well as the ability to understand and interpret accounting treatments for new transactions or policy changes.
- Proven track record of delivering statutory accounts for a large number of companies accurately, on time, and through the audit process.
- Financial process reviews/audits experience and the ability to identify and suggest areas for improvement.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to write insightful and concise business performance/variance commentary in graphic power-point presentations.
- Proven self-starter and independent problem-solving ability with sense to understand implications of work and probe more deeply when presented with inconsistent or interesting findings.
- Proven ability to manage projects from beginning to completion with a 'can-do' attitude and a proven ability to manage and meet all deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members in a hands-on management capacity.
- Very strong management skills and able to manage multiple work-streams, to tight deadlines with numerous different sources of input.
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly numerate and organised.
- Ability to cope in a busy and demanding work environment with regular and conflicting deadlines.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Power Point skills.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.