Reporting to the Director of Production, Operations & Business, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the finance team, currently comprising of 2 direct reports; with an emphasis on leading and motivating the team.
This role is central to ensuring the smooth running of the team, to support the business. You will possess strong interpersonal skills with a 'hands-on' approach and must be self-motivated and able to make efficient use of both your time and the time of others. You must be highly numerate with strong analysis skills, competent with accounting systems, and be a clear communicator and manager.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Motivate and guide the team, to produce quality work and set high standards.
- Consider current processes and workloads and discuss any proposed improvements with the Business Partner.
- Prepare business plans and execute five year plans and financial forecasts and ensure that budgets are met and commercial activities are maximized.
- Business Partner to the Managing Director to provide support for the MD including areas such as forecast updates, strategic planning, project funding and tax credits.
- Manage the monthly management accounts process. Review of monthly actual P&L and balance sheet, in both UK and US GAAP.
- Navigate the bespoke production cost manager software to be able to review the profitability of productions.
- Oversee the process for preparing and reporting on monthly & quarterly reporting packs, including slate, reporting pack, cashflow, development budget and management reports.
- Liaising with the US finance team on any US productions, where we own the format, but the US company makes the production.
- Royalties and participations/payaways reporting
- Monitor and ensure accurate and timely local tax compliance.
- Review of VAT returns and reconciliation for group.
- Review year-end reconciliations and reports and liaise with auditors.
- Produce relevant data for international regulatory purposes (US tax filings etc).
- Ensure compliance with applicable SOX requirements as required.
- Other projects/work as it arises.
Qualification & Experience
- Undergraduate degree (University degree).
- Finance qualification, with 8 years+ experience.
- Proven accounting experience at this level within a Media Production environment.
- An understanding of HMRC rules regarding employment status for tax purposes and the specific HMRC TV and Film guidance for the production industry.
- Ability to manage teams through change and lead the local business process initiatives would be an advantage.
- Managed a finance team, had overall responsibility for financial reporting and presented strategic, financial & commercial information to execs.
- Good understanding of the international TV market is essential, including programme making, the production process, finished and format distribution and deal making.
- Proven track record working successfully with senior business leaders, creative heads, operational and financial management.
- Experience in creating and managing profitable growth and setting up commercial partnerships.
- Significant experience within a multinational company highly desirable.
- Has used enterprise accounting software (ideally SAP or Navision). Competent Excel user