The Role: Head of Legal, reporting to the COO
Who We Are: Broadwick Live is a multifaceted international company with headquarters in London who create, develop, own and operate a diverse portfolio of venues, spaces, events and experiences.
We believe in redefining spaces and how people experience music, art, culture and recreation by breaking down traditional barriers. Our history and heritage is deeply rooted in music, building 20 global festivals before selling the portfolio in 2019 to focus on our growing portfolio of venues that includes Printworks London, Depot Mayfield Manchester, Drumsheds London, Exhibition London and Magazine London.
Collectively we strive to push boundaries and disrupt the cultural landscape by combining big thinking, bold ideas and commercial intelligence to produce spaces and experiences for discerning audiences in inspiring locations.
What we're looking for: a pro-active, driven, confident Head of Legal (Sole Counsel) to manage the day-to-day legal workload across Broadwick's Venue, Entertainment and Development businesses. You will support the group across a wide range of commercial and legal matters, and will be part of the leadership team.
The role is essentially that of a 'general counsel', and you'll be responsible for:
- Assisting with commercial contracts, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating:
- Sponsorship agreements
- Venue hire, artist performance and ticketing agreements
- Agreements with suppliers of goods and services
- Agreements between Group and end-consumers, including standard terms and conditions for venue hire and competitions
- Assisting with drafting, reviewing and negotiating business and/or share purchase agreements and/or joint venture agreements; managing share issues and company secretarial matters; and providing legal advice in connection with Group structure matters
- Commercial property matters, including:
- Managing negotiation of new leases and purchases of leases associated with business acquisitions
- Managing and where relevant negotiating rent reviews and licences to assign/sublet/alter for existing leases
- Co-ordinating planning permission and licensing applications and appeals.
- Employment law matters, including managing employment disciplinary and grievance proceedings and tribunals and ensuring that employment contracts and practices are updated in line with developments in employment law.
- Protection and exploitation of intellectual property, including maintenance of the Group's registered trademarks and internet domain names
- Handling data protection matters, including ensuring company compliant with all data protection legislation and managing data subject access requests. Acting as Data Protection Officer/Manager, as applicable
- Company secretarial including filing annual confirmation statements and completing other relevant Companies House filings
- Advice in connection with risk management
- Implementation of legal processes and protocols to develop best practice including creating legal precedents
- Providing proactive, strategic and practical advice to our senior team, and to a variety of departments including Marketing, Finance, People, Partnerships, Entertainment, Venues and Development
- Managing relationships with external legal contacts (e.g. joint ventures)
- Managing a roster of specialist external lawyers ensuring controlled transactional spend
- Assisting the Group COO in forecasting the annual legal budget
We'll need you to:
- Have post qualified experience within a similar environment
- Have experience of intellectual property, commercial and contract law, and data protection law
- Be approachable and personable, with a pro-active approach to relationship management
- Be highly self-motivated, articulate, organised and confident
- Be an excellent team player, also able to work on your own initiative
- Have excellent drafting skills and strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, able to work with individuals at all levels
- Ability to work well under pressure and to manage a number of simultaneous priorities
- Experience of negotiation and a strong commercial awareness
We'd like you to have the following:
- Corporate law experience
- Real Estate experience
- In-house experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Exposure to and experience of the music/sport/entertainment industry and an interest in entertainment environment preferable
Application Details: Please send a CV to our retained agent Nick Wasserman of Handle Recruitment using the link provided. Please note that any direct applications will be forwarded to Handle for their consideration on our behalf.
Handle actively welcomes applicants from under-represented backgrounds
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.