£50k - Permanent contract (would consider FTC)
An incredible digital multimedia publisher dedicated to developing content for women, by women from Africa and the African diaspora are looking for a Managing Editor to join the team to lead and manage operational and editorial tasks. You will commission writers, ideate and contribute stories, and oversee daily happenings on the site.
The ideal candidate is incredibly process-oriented, operational, data-driven, can work in a very fast-paced environment and can lead, execute and manage editorial projects and creative concepts efficiently and effectively. They are also looking for someone who can manage junior writers, commission freelance writers and has a very strong understanding of the editorial and newsroom process.
- Strong interest, knowledge and passion for African and Afro-diasporic pop cultures as well as current cultural, political, social and creative trends and affairs happening across Africa and the African Diaspora.
- Collaborate with the Editor in Chief to guide the editorial development of the brand.
- Assign reporting tasks to staff writers and contributors.
- Set editorial goals to meet company objectives.
- Lead, guide, manage and direct reporters and assigned feature writers in developing news stories and features.
- Edit and contribute content copy in accordance to the established procedures and standards outlined in the editorial style guide and calendar.
- Work in collaboration with the Digital Marketing Manager to manage weekly newsletters
- Collaborate with the Editor in Chief to build editorial infrastructure.
- At least 6 years of experience working in editorial.
- Prior experience as a managing editor or a relevant role.
- Previous experience managing a team of editors and staff writers.
- Previous experience managing and overseeing production schedules and editorial calendars.
- Significant experience working with clients and delivering branded content
- Highly process-oriented and operational.
- Strong multimedia journalism skills across print, video, audio, experiential and social.
- Knowledge of AP Style Guidelines.
- Ability to ideate and develop stories from conception to completion is preferred.
- Ability to pitch and assign stories across video, audio and photography
Handle actively welcomes applicants from under-represented backgrounds
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.