Handle Recruitment are excited to be working with an innovative and ambitious start-up multimedia digital publisher to recruit a Senior Staff Writer to join their small but incredibly accomplished team. Launching in 2021, their aim is to be cultural change makers, devoted to providing a platform that highlights diversity and dynamism of Pan-African Womanhood through developing and curating content on a range of nuanced topics for women from Africa and the African diaspora.
The successful candidate will be joining the company at an extremely exciting time on the run up to the launch of the brand. An integral part of the editorial team, you will work closely with the editor-in-chief, staff editors, reporters, and freelancers to create engaging content including news posts, interviews and features. As a staff writer, you should be able to perform thorough research and analysis on various topics and have a keen eye for detail.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Writing full-length feature stories, analyse, report and conduct interviews
- Working collaboratively with other writers to develop stories
- Stay up-to-date with local, national and international affairs
- Managing junior writers
- Working closely with the Editor-in-Chief to define content strategy
- Creating content in the following writing styles:
- Interviews - Longform profile pieces and concise Q&As
- Service Journalism - Listicles, how-to's and informative write-ups.
- Opinion Pieces/Personal Essays - Critical analysis pieces, opinion pieces, and personal essays.
- Short Features - Timely, newsworthy pieces to expand on current events.
- Longform Features - Stories involving in-depth reporting, research, and multiple interviews
You will bring:
- A journalism, writing, communications, or relevant field university degree and/or at least 5-6 years of writing and reporting experience.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in African entertainment, art, issues, politics, music, and more on the continent and across the diaspora.
- Prior experience working as a staff writer.
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong knowledge of AP Style Guidelines.
- Sharp research skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Confident working in a fast-paced start-up environment.
This is a full time, permanent position starting in January 2021 prior to the launch in February 2021.
If you are a seasoned Staff Writer, passionate about Africa and the African diaspora as well as creating high quality content which will be an instrumental part of a new brand's success, apply today!
Handle actively welcomes applicants from under-represented backgrounds
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.