Retail Category Administrator- Buying & Wholesale, FMCG
This is a great opportunity for retail professionals to join one of the fastest growing FMCG businesses in the UK! Best described as a very well established, household name- our client is going through a period of growth and transformation, resulting in a fantastic time to join!
The duration of the role is for 9 months, with an ASAP start.
As a Category Assistant you will provide administrative and commercial support to the Buying team for your category/categories. You will be responsible for a variety of administrative and commercial tasks, with a key focus on accuracy and efficiency- ensuring the product range and trading plans are optimised to support the overall strategy and goals of the company.
- Ensure all administrative tasks for allocated suppliers are set up and managed as agreed between the Buyer and Supplier.
- Lead product set up for new listings, as well as maintaining current product information, checking it is accurate and in line with company guidelines. Proactively manages the process end-to-end, following up with internal teams and external suppliers to secure the necessary inputs in a timely manner.
- Provides regular clear updates to senior stakeholders of status, identifying any risks in advance and working to mitigate.
- Work with the Buyer and Supply functions to ensure all product lines are organised and ranged on the website correctly. This includes daily ranging of new product lines, de-listing obsolete items, maintaining master assortment line lists, as well as managing substitutes and alternatives in line with company guidelines.
- Raise supplier income and promotional funding on the system. Manage invoice queries on behalf buying between Accounts and Supplier.
- Set up promotional activity within critical path deadlines, checking start and end dates for promotions and supporting the Buyer in ensuring we are adhering to legal guidelines.
- Complete checks that promotions have gone live correctly. Monitors activity in the market, providing recommendations to Buying team of areas to optimise.
- Run and analyse reports for buying team as required. Support Trade reporting, event reviews and ad hoc analysis, working with the Buyer to identify opportunities for course correction and acceleration.
- Lead regular competitor shops to support our range and trading plans are compelling and competitive.
- Coordinate supplier communication and samples for events
- Answer Supplier queries including around contacts, invoices and reports in a timely manner.
- Assist the Customer Centre in a timely manner with responses for customer queries.
- Work within critical path deadlines for all accountabilities, working at pace whilst ensuring accuracy.
- Deliver necessary training and support Category Assistants and new starters.
- Improve and develop systems and processes for efficiency.
- Dependant on development goals, act as buying lead for a category and/or supplier set.
- This could include agreeing promotional and/or media plans and leading range review process, with the Buyers support.
- Previous experience in a fast-paced retail or buying environment
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills are a must
- Microsoft Office (intermediate to advanced)
- Numeracy and Accuracy - Strong attention to detail to handle key commercial and product data.
- Competent analysing simple data sets independently and providing actionable recommendations based on insight.
- Commercial Acumen - Understands key commercial metrics including product mix, basket and margin and has a basic understanding of how to influence the different buying levers.
- Communicates clearly and professionally with internal teams and external suppliers. Comfortable chasing for information
- Confident managing relationships internally and externally autonomously, as well as managing expectations including upwards to more senior colleagues.
- Capable managing multiple tasks at any one time to a high standard, ensuring deadlines are met, highlighting any risks to their manager in advance.
- Able to identify areas for optimisation and suggest solutions to problems. Comfortable with change. With senior support as required, is able to implement change to drive efficiencies. Understanding the importance of their role to the broader business strategy and ambitions. Understands the forward impact of any delays and errors and ensuring timely resolution of these.
- Works collaboratively and proactively supports colleagues to achieve organisational goals.
Handle actively welcomes applicants from under-represented backgrounds
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days of sending your CV then you have not been shortlisted for the position you have applied for.