Project Accountant - Arts (4 Days Per Week)
World renowned art gallery are looking for a Project Accountant to provide accounting support to the Capital Projects team covering planning, monitoring, approving, and reporting on expenditure, providing an effective reporting link between the project team and the finance department.
Working with both internal and external partners, the Project Accountant will have responsibility for managing all financial aspects relating to the Gallery's programme of major capital projects to ensure that senior stakeholders are provided with accurate and timely information they require to deliver the projects on time and on budget.
- Lead on monitoring expenditure and income including investigating any variances.
- Lead on project accounting processes including accurately capturing data relating to time, costs, and forecasting.
- Ensure the appropriate accounting treatment and coding of items of expenditure.
- Maintenance of the project coding structure within the finance system to ensure that it is clear and fit for purpose.
- Develop financial plans for the Capital Projects across the multi-million-pound construction programme monitoring financial performance against these plans.
- Maintain monthly financial forecasts and accruals and support reviews of projects.
- Maintain monthly cash flow projections
- Ensure the timely production of financial reports for stakeholders and budget holders to aid effective decision making.
- Present financial reports at monthly meetings, guiding committee members to key areas of focus or decisions required.
- Review and approval of expenditure relating to the projects in line with agreed schedules of work.
- Investigate and resolve issues with supplier invoices with budget holders and or suppliers.
- Produce clear working papers covering accounting for the project for the purpose of external audit.
- Challenge cost consultants and/or internal budget holders on budget/forecast assumptions to ensure that information produced is accurate
- Take responsibility for preparation of all financial and non-financial information required for project sponsors, project managers, Project Board, Trustees, and external funders as required in both routine reporting and ad hoc requests
Skills & Attributes:
- Accountancy qualification from recognised body (ACA/ACCA/CIMA), or extensive professional capital accounting experience
- Proven Project Accounting and capital experience from a large capital construction project.
- Exceptional ability to prepare clear and accurate project budgets and financial forecasts
- Understanding of the taxation implications of capital projects, particularly in relation to charitable organisations
- Ability to clearly communicate complex financial matters to a non-financial audience.
Handle actively welcomes applicants from under-represented backgrounds - we pride ourselves on attracting the best talent for every opportunity through a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.